Over 100 years of golf and still going strong

Sheerness Golf Club is a private members golf club originally designed by Willie Parks Jr as a 9-hole links course before becoming the 6,386 yard par 71 18-hole course it is today.

The motivation for Sheerness Golf Club came from the First Sea Lord Admiral Sir John Fisher who, in his encouragement of sport and recreation for the Navy, considered the game of golf to be the recreation for Naval Officers.

In a meeting of influential naval, military, dockyard officers and leading townspeople of 1908 a company was formed with the sole purpose of forming a golf club.

After the site was chosen at Ripney Hill Farm, professional advice was sought from Mr Willie Parks Jr (the Open Golf Champion of 1887 and 1889) and a professional golfer Mr Alec Bishop (who became the Club Professional) in order to map out and oversee construction of the 9-hole links which opened in the May of 1909.

Extra land was acquired in 1976 and, with the help of a government grant and the generosity of some of the then members, the course was extended to the 18-hole course we play today which came into use on 31st July 1977.

A book, detailing the history of Sheerness Golf Club, was written and published by the late G. G. Holt in 2008 and is available from the club on request.

Calendar
Loading the Calendar...
Weather

The weather provided by WorldWeatherOnline.com is not currently available.

Need to know more weather details? Click here to see the weather for the next 5 days.
News
  • Winter Works
    newsthumbnail
Course Status
Currently open
09.12.2018 16:28
View Status
Winter works currently taking place. Some temporary tees are in play as a result.